We offer the use of drift boats on most rivers listed. The drift boats or rafts allow us to cover a larger area and access waters that are inaccessible or unsafe for wading, which is an advantage. The boats also allow us to bring extra gear that might otherwise be left behind on walk-n-wade trips. Some rivers have regulations that mandate fishing only by wading. Although we cannot fish from the boat, we use the boat to drift through these areas and access fishing holes that one cannot access on foot because of private land.
The drift boats are designed to float through shallow waters. With our knowledgeable guide staff in the center of the boat rowing, he or she can safely navigate you into position for the perfect drag free drift. All boats can accommodate up to two anglers at most. For example, if you have six anglers you would need three guides, and we are happy to arrange for as many anglers and guides as you need. When booking trips, especially large groups, we highly recommend booking one year in advance to ensure we have enough guides for your group.
Most of the drift boats are fiberglass construction, although some are wood, and the rafts are PVC (polyvinyl chloride). If you have wading boots with metal cleats please let us know when booking your trip(s) so we can arrange for protective mats that will help protect our vessels.
No boats are allowed in Yellowstone National Park, park law. All float trips will be on our Montana waters.
- Wader and Wading Boot Rental – Let us know when booking a trip if you need rental gear and we will arrange to have them upon your arrival. Prices with Trout On The Fly LLC are $20 for half day rental and $30 for a full day wader and boot rental. (*if you have studded boots let us know so we can have proper mats for the drift boats*)
- Montana Fishing License – To save time we recommend you purchase your license(s) online before your trip at the Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks website. Any angler 12 years of age and older must have a Conservation License ($10-nonresident) plus a Fishing License ($25 for 2 consecutive days, $56 for 10 consecutive days or $86 for season-nonresident), plus an Invasive Species Pass ($15.00 for non-residents). No license is required for angler’s age 11 years and younger IF accompanied by an adult who holds a valid Montana fishing license. Click here to buy a Montana Fishing License Online
- Guide Gratuity – Gratuity is not mandatory, but is well appreciated to help with the guide’s fuel, flies lost on the trip, and reflects the hard work of the guide. Average gratuity is 20-25% of the price of the trip. However, if you feel the guide deserves more or less, please adjust the amount according to your experience.
- Transaction Fee – All credit and debit card payments add 3% of the total amount.
Deposit & Cancellation Policy
- A 50% deposit is required at the time of reserving your fishing guide. The remaining 50% balance will be due within 60 days of the trip(s).
- Cancellations made more than 30 days prior to the scheduled date will be refunded the full amount of the deposit.
- Cancellations made 30 or fewer days prior to the trip will forfeit 50% of the trip amount.
Please understand that these trips are difficult to re-book on short notice, and that our focus is on providing the best fishing experience possible. If you have any concerns about attending your booked trip, please look into trip insurance.
- “We had fantastic experience booking a guide through Trout On The Fly. Our guide, Oliver, was personable, patient, and experienced. He showed us new fishing methods and we caught some great fish with him. Oliver worked really hard to ensure that we had success and we would not hesitate to recommend him and Trout on the Fly for anyone heading to the Yellowstone area. The float trip was especially enjoyable - this was a new experience for us and it was a lot of fun. Oliver was great to joke around with and he also made sure to offer us good fishing advice throughout the day in a very tactful manner. Shannon and I both caught big fish while floating the Madison. What a great trip!“
- “Oliver was awesome, and that’s coming from Paul and me who have fished with many guides over the years. He was competent, knowledgeable, patient, and has the perfect temperament to be a good coach in the field. He introduced us to the world of streamers, got us into the best water and we can’t say enough good things about him. I will definitely call you again when we’re back.“
- “First full day back home after a great Montana fishing trip. I thought you would be interested in getting a picture I took with you and Steve Cook 13 years ago. What an amazing coincidence that we got re-connected. Thanks again for all of your help in getting guides for us and for you working so hard to get us into fish on Friday. You are the hardest working guide I have ever had and so knowledgeable about the rivers you guide.“
- “I was referred to Nate by a friend/client and we recently fished two days on the Missouri River. Nate has 20+ yrs of guiding experience, and I highly recommend him. I have fished with fly fishing guides in California, Oregon, Montana, Colorado, Florida, and Mexico, and I would rank Nate near the top of my list. He knows the Missouri and Madison Rivers like the back of his hand. He’s a true fly fisherman guide, not a “shop guide”that only fishes from 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM. He’s an extremely hard worker, first guide on the water and the last to leave. Regardless if you are a beginner or an experienced fly angler, you should book a few days on the water with Nate, you won’t be sorry.“
- “If you want a great Father-Son activity Trout on the Fly is the place! Madison River is owned by Nate and Garrett.