Half days are a great introduction to fly fishing; we will teach you the basics in casting, line management, knots, some entomology, and how to land fish. Got children? Don’t torture them on a full day trip; this can leave a bad taste in their mouth. Half days allow us to expose the child to the sport, leaving them with a good experience!
These trips last 4 hours, starting from the time the guide sets up your gear at the river’s edge. We offer half day fishing in the morning (from 8 am – 12 pm) or afternoon (1pm-5pm). Occasionally we can be flexible on start time, please call to discuss.
- Wader and Wading Boot Rental – Let us know when booking a trip if you need rental gear and we will arrange to have them upon your arrival. Prices with Trout On The Fly are $20 for half day rental and $30 for a full day wader and boot rental. (*if you have studded boots let us know so we can have proper mats for the drift boats*)
- Montana Fishing License – To save time we recommend you purchase your license(s) online before your trip at the Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks website. Any angler 12 years of age and older must have a Conservation License ($10-nonresident) plus a Fishing License ($25 for 2 consecutive days, $56 for 10 consecutive days or $86 for season-nonresident), plus an Invasive Species Pass ($15.00 for non-residents). No license is required for angler’s age 11 years and younger IF accompanied by an adult who holds a valid Montana fishing license. Click here to buy a Montana Fishing License Online
- Guide Gratuity – Gratuity is not mandatory, but is well appreciated to help with the guide’s fuel, flies lost on the trip, and reflects the hard work of the guide. Average gratuity is 20-25% of the price of the trip. However, if you feel the guide deserves more or less, please adjust the amount according to your experience.
- Transaction Fee – All credit or debit card payments add 3% to the total amount.
Deposit & Cancellation Policy
- A 50% deposit is required at the time of reserving your fishing guide. The remaining 50% balance will be due within 60 days of the trip(s).
- Cancellations made more than 30 days prior to the scheduled date will be refunded the full amount of the deposit.
- Cancellations made 30 or fewer days prior to the trip will forfeit 50% of the trip amount.
Please understand that these trips are difficult to re-book on short notice, and that our focus is on providing the best fishing experience possible. If you have any concerns about attending your booked trip, please look into trip insurance.